Sunday, August 10, 2008

What it is all about

My reasons for this blog:
  • Work and school are very large part of my life. I work full-time and love my job so much that many overtime hours go by without much notice. I am also working on my PhD dissertation. By God's grace my topic is not only enormously interesting to me, but also to many other people. When I lose heart they remind me of my passion. That keeps me going through the long endless hours after my work day is finished.
  • Family and church, rest and exercise are suffering from the lack of consistent attention. Usually I simply run out of time to do any of these. And the sadness from missing out on them outweighs the joy of success on work and school front.
  • I waste a lot of time. I see a lot of free time potential throughout my days. I waste a lot of time by perfecting tasks, by avoiding difficult ones (which end up taking 10 minutes to complete), by poor planning, by procrastinating...
  • I lack balance. I've been down the road of being dedicated only to work or only to school or only to marriage. No matter how much was accomplished during those feats, there were terrible consequences for all other aspects of my life. Tomorrow may never come. I only have today and it has to have space for all the things I love.
  • I am tired of reading someone else's advices. There is a lot of good advice on the Internet on how to organize, motivate yourself, create steps to success, whatever. I enjoy reading them, enjoy imagining myself being all efficient and productive. But I never become that person. At best I give an advice a try for a few days and then slide back to same old, same old.
  • FlyLady rocks my house. If your house is always in chaos, if cleaning is always a major commitment that leaves you breathless for days, if you can never invite anyone over, and if you really really hate it, then FlyLady is your next stop. I've been a FlyBaby for just a few months, but my home has seen a tremendous improvement. Even though I have so little time to take care of it.
Unfortunately for me, FlyLady's advice mostly covers house chores only. And I need to FLY at work and school just as much, if not more. FlyLady has a couple of good advices, which should apply to other areas of my life: build new habits slowly and take baby steps.

So what is this blog going to be about? I have not the slightest idea! I hope it'll be about building new habits and taking baby steps and seeing myself through to a happy balanced future (hopefully void of dissertation at some point!). However, I have a growing suspicion that complaining, reporting failures and blogging on completely unrelated subjects in attempts to avoid my goal as much as possible will be a large part of this journey as well.

No comments: