Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another (un)scheduled freakout

I'm freaking out all over again. I met with my advisor to go over his comments on our paper. His comments were ok for the most part. Some were very good indeed. Some were way out of the league for this paper, but good for my research proposal. And some... Well some just freaked me out. Because I should be good at this. This is my major. I should be able to understand what he is saying and what he wants, but I don't! And I'm certain that's the kind of stuff he will be asking about at the oral exam. Plus somehow we ended up mentioning additional stuff for me to get done before my oral exam. Just in case I have some free time, I guess.

By writing his comments on a paper version of the draft he is making a lot of additional work for me. First, I had to leave work early and come to campus to meet with him. With driving (during rush hour) and parking that took me 2 extra hours. Second, his comments were brief, so I must remember the gist of it and write it all up myself. He is a co-author on this paper, so he could potentially actually WRITE a paragraph, you know. Third, I have to somehow communicate his comments to the two other co-authors and this feels very weird. I'm afraid of misinterpreting him. And I feel like telling on him in a way. Oh, and it will also take me a great deal of time to write it up. Maybe this is just an old-school approach.

The rest of the day was good but very busy with meetings, emails, making decisions. I had about 5 or 6 different things started at the same time and requests were just pouring in one after another. Emails, people stopping by, phone calls, reminders... Aaaaaa! Weird day, really. Usually my work is not that crazy.

My stomach hurts. I wonder whether it is the stress of the day or the brownies that I made.

No comments: